[erlang-questions] Parsing binaries performance

Sebastian Dehne sebastian@REDACTED
Wed Jun 25 17:41:08 CEST 2008

Hello list,

I'm trying to write a parser in Erlang for a byte-stream (which I
receive from the TCP socket), but I realise that my code is slow
compared to the java version which I have. I've attached both version.

The java prints version:
Done: 93

The erlang version prints:
$ erl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.5 [source] [async-threads:0]
[kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.5.5  (abort with ^G)
1> c(test).
{ok,test}
2> Data1 = <<"Somestringcontainingcrlf\r\nandsomemoretextbehind\r\n">>.

<<"Somestringcontainingcrlf\r\nandsomemoretextbehind\r\n">>
3>
3> test:testwrapper(Data1, 500000).
Erlang Elapsed 1570 (runtime) 1586 (wall clock) milliseconds
ok

Both tests are run on the same machine. I also run the test several
times. Quite a difference between 93ms and 1586ms.

What am I doing wrong? How should I write the code in Erlang such that
it matches the performance of Java?

Thanks

Sebastian