[erlang-questions] why is gen_tcp:send slow?

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Tue Jun 24 23:16:18 CEST 2008

David,

Thanks for trying out the benchmark.

With my limited knowledge of TCP/IP, I believe you are seeing the 300,000
limit because TCP/IP requires acknowledgements to each packet, and although
it can batch up multiple acknowledgements in one packet, there is a
theoretical limit of packets per seconds beyond which it cannot go due to
the laws of physics. I understand that limit is determined by the Round-Trip
Time (RTT), which can be shown by ping. On my system, pinging
127.0.0.1gives a minimum RTT of 0.018 ms (out of 16 pings). That means
that the
maximum number of packets that can make it to and dest and back per second
is 1/0.000018 seconds, or 55555 packets per second. The TCP/IP stack is
evidently packing 5 or 6 blocks into each packet to get the 300K blocks/sec
you are seeing. Using Wireshark or Ethereal would confirm this. I am
guessing that this means that the TCP window is about 6 * 1000 bytes or 6KB.

What I neglected to tell this group is that I have modified the Linux
sysctl.conf as follows, which might have had an effect (like I said, I am
not an expert):

# increase Linux autotuning TCP buffer limits
# min, default, and max number of bytes to use
# set max to at least 4MB, or higher if you use very high BDP paths
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 32768 16777216

When I have more time, I will vary a number of different Erlang TCP/IP
parameters and get a data set together that gives a broader picture of the
effect of the parameters.

Thanks again for taking the time.