[erlang-questions] why is gen_tcp:send slow?

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Fri Jun 20 08:24:05 CEST 2008

Which Erlang command-line options are you using? Specifically, are you using
-K true and the -A flags? Does OS/X support kernel poll (-K true)?  I saw
benchmarks where CPU usage without kernel poll was high (60 - 80%), and
without it was much lower (5 - 10%).

I wouldn't necessarily agree that "the workings of gen_tcp is quite platform
dependent." I would rather guess that TCP/IP stacks, and TCP/IP parameters,
are very different across certain operating systems. The default values are
often not even close to optimal. There are numerous registry tweaks to
improve Windows TCP/IP performance, for example. I am surprised that you are
forced to send only 128 bytes at a time or face lower performance in Erlang
on Windows. That seems odd indeed. I would be taking looks at default buffer
sizes and the registry hacks that are findable on Google, and then
experiment.

I was able to improve performance of an application I am working on from 3
message/sec to 70 msgs/sec simply by spawning a function (to gen_tcp:send
the data) that was previously being called sequentially. This was because
TCP/IP could now pack multiple packets into the same frame, which previously
only had one packet in it. The RTT of the link was dreadful (290ms), so this
was a bit of a special case but I think the principle remains the same.
Transmitting data in fewer packets means fewer system calls, better
utilization of available frame space, and less CPU. Plus using -K true and
perhaps +A 128 should improve things.

Give it a try (if you already haven't) and see if it improves things. Also
take a look if you will at Boost socket performance on
Linux<http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-hisock.html>,
which has some interesting information on this topic.