[erlang-questions] is there any logging module for erlang?

Dave Smith dizzyd@REDACTED
Thu Jun 12 17:11:42 CEST 2008

Actually, I was referring to the dbg module in runtime_tools. Also the
sys module in stdlib can be helpful when poking around OTP processes.

>From my perspective, Erlang has a very different take on logging due
to the fact that you can easily hop on a live system via a shell and
introspect without stopping. Other languages/platforms don't really
have the idea of being able to hook into the live system with a shell
and poke around. Obviously, this can be dangerous, but at the same
time it's something you simply MUST be able to do if you seriously
want your system to stay up.

There's always a place for error and/or transaction logging, of
course. But for the vast majority of "debug" logs, I find that tracing
can do the trick and help me work out exactly what's happening with my
system without requiring me to litter the code with io:format/2.
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but that's been my experience with
erlang. :)

D.