[erlang-questions] clueless performance question

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Jun 11 16:44:35 CEST 2008

James Hague skrev:

> The weak points--performance-wise--in Erlang tend to be:
>
> * Algorithms involving heavy use of destructive array updates
> * Floating point math
> * Regular expressions
> * Line-oriented I/O

...and the problem with line-oriented I/O is that it is
either too inefficient (io:get_line()), or way, way too
efficient (the user driver in line-oriented mode).

Specifically, the second alternative suffers from lack of
flow control, which means that even the tightest of
loops in erlang code is unable to keep up with a sufficiently
large stream of very short lines (which of course was exactly
the case in the shootout).

http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2007-June/027557.html

BR,
Ulf W