[erlang-questions] clueless performance question

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Wed Jun 11 14:09:59 CEST 2008

--- "Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB)" <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Of course, in many of the micro benchmarks where
> Erlang
> suffers, the key to high performance seems to be the
> ability to perform blocking IO. This problem may
> become
> less of an issue if we start benchmarking on
> multicores,
> where it may be possible to do such things and still
> not
> jeopardize real-time characteristics.

Micro benchmarks are seductive but normally not very
important beyond bragging rights. (Blocking I/O might
be important anyway, I don't know.)

On the other hand, I thought the "wide finder" work of
last fall was pretty interesting. (Likewise for the
WF2 getting started now.)

Best,
Thomas