[erlang-questions] Beginner's question on Erlang compilation

Alexander Lamb alexander.lamb@REDACTED
Mon Jun 9 10:31:36 CEST 2008

Hello,

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but somehow I have to ask!

When I compile my modules, the compiler doesn't check the existence of
functions in other modules.

In other words if I do:

lists:do_something_non_existent()

or

my_module:do_something_else(abc)

If those functions don't exist, I will only know it when my code runs
and crashes.
Ok, so I understand what late binding means, but couldn't the compiler
at least test the existence of functions with a given arity?

I compile using erl -make

The makefile is generated by automake (I didn't manage, or want to
dive into the traditional makefiles, see post a few weeks ago:-)

Thanks for any hints (and please be indulgent, my first "real"
programming language was ADA so in terms of compilation, the warnings
are really different)

Alex
--
Alexander Lamb