[erlang-questions] [clarify] Limits and overhead of monitors
Sat Jun 7 18:06:46 CEST 2008
Has anyone determined the answer to any of the following questions:
1) Is a practical limit to the number of monitors a single process
- I assume they are fairly static, so just the memory to store
- how are they stored?
- any problems if I have 100K processes in an everyone
monitoring everyone configuration?
2) How much overhead difference is there between a local monitor and
remote node process monitor?
- The pinging between nodes shouldn't need to propagate, just
the failure to ping a node
3) Is there any difference between a peer-to-peer distributed mutual
monitoring situation and a star network organization where the
monitoring is located in the central pool of process?
- Total number of monitors is fewer
- Notification of down process should propagate in a similar
amount of time (although I would have to manually chase down
connections in the 2nd case by maintaining my own relationships)
More information about the erlang-questions