[erlang-questions] Twoorl: an open source Twitter clone

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Fri Jun 6 14:48:16 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Barry Kelly <bkelly.ie@REDACTED> wrote:
> Joe Armstrong wrote:
>
>> Yes yes yes - I have for a long time thought that non-destructive
>> persistent queues are the perfect data structure for
>> many applications. I can't see why REST has GET, PUT, POST and DELETE
>> - It should have GET and APPEND
>> (only).
>
>> Appending things to a input queue *and never deleting them* seems to
>> me a perfect way to deal with things.
>
> There are privacy and security ramifications to such a design. A service
> provider implemented using such a model may hold passwords and customer
> data much longer than it needs to.

Security has nothing to do with this argument - if a password is sent
over the network it has been
sent - nothing can alter that.

A man in the middle might store the message forever so it would make
no difference if the
server stores the data  for a millisecond or a trillion years.

The reason for storing things in an appended log is to be able to
replay the log later if things go wrong and
recover from errors - it has nothing to do with security. Security and
privacy has to do with the level of
encryption that is applied to the items in the log.

/Joe