[erlang-questions] On selective receive (Re: eep: multiple patterns)

Andreas Hillqvist andreas.hillqvist@REDACTED
Wed Jun 4 14:51:09 CEST 2008

Thank you for your answer.

For sending I was thinking that it would be possible to use the Queue
Identifyer (somthing similar to a PID):
      Queue ! Message

And that Queue are only linked to process.

One possebility with Multiple Queues is that it would be possible to
Prioritize messages more efficiently:
 * If there is a message in Queue read messsage, else repeat for next Queue.
 * If there is no message in any Queue, wait for a message from any Queue.

It might be nice to have one Queue for system messages and such.

I do not know if the Multiple Queues is the right path.
It would be possible to build some of the functionality with helper
process for Queue.

And that could be part of the framework you mentioned and let the
future decide if the Multiple Queues semantics will catch on.

It might then be omre efficently be implemented in the Erlang Runtime.

Kind Regards
Andreas Hillqvist