[erlang-questions] Mnesia for mobile telco billing?

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Tue Jul 29 22:32:18 CEST 2008

> btw what do you mean in coding, i am not so good in Erlang / Mnesia yet,
> has Mnesia allow some coding/redisining ?

Mnesia is a programmer's DBMS, and the single biggest advantage
is that it almost feels like an extension to the programming language.
But it doesn't have a battery of admin tools, like most conventional
DBMS products.

For programmers building a custom application where some database
functionality is needed, this is wonderful, but depending on the problem
domain, there may be products that solve a larger part of the problem
out of the box. I don't know what's available for billing applications, but
I imagine that there *could* be products that provide lots of great
provisioning support on top of the basic storage functionality.

If you go with Mnesia, you will have to write most of the application
logic from scratch. If that's what you were planning to do anyway,
no problem.

> one more point, on what I have not found any info is Mnesia benchmarks,
> have you seen it anywhere ?

Of course, you'd need to look for benchmarks that are representative for
your application. The nearest I found was this:

http://www.erlang.org/pipermail/erlang-questions/2002-April/004608.html

Perhaps someone can provide some status update on that one?

BR,
Ulf W