[erlang-questions] json_to_term EEP

Hynek Vychodil vychodil.hynek@REDACTED
Tue Jul 29 11:30:31 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 3:13 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED>wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2008, at 9:51 am, Paulo Sérgio Almeida wrote:
> > I think there is no doubt that lists will be more useful than
> > tuples. There is, however another option, that I have been using in
> > a json parser I wrote:
> >
> > (C) an object is simply a proplist, i.e. a list of tuples.
>
> This is in fact what I originally proposed,
> the tricky point being that {} is a legal empty object in JSON,
> and we can't map that to [] because that's the representation
> for the empty sequence [].
>
> (O) Original proposal: {} => {}, other objects => list of pairs
> (A) Armstrong version: object => tuple of pairs, no exceptions.
> (B) Object => {list of pairs}.
> (C) Almeida proposal: as (O) but {} => [{}].
>
> The arguments for usability of the result in Erlang are the
> arguments that originally had me proposing (O).
>
> However, I note that nothing stops us providing a range of
> handy-dandy functions that work on tuples of pairs.
>
> %(O)
> is_object({})        -> true;
> is_object([{_,_}|_]) -> true;
> is_object(_)         -> false.
>
> %(A)
> is_object(T)         -> is_tuple(T).
>
> %(B)
> is_object({T})       -> is_list(T).

is_object({T})       -> is_list(T);
is_object(_)       -> false.   % avoid exception

> %(C)
> is_object([T|_])     -> is_tuple(T);
> is_object(_)         -> false.
>
> It's rather annoying to be so bothered about empty objects;
> do they occur in practical JSON?  Proposal (C) seems neat enough;
> the main problem is fitting the results with @type.

(C) seems good for me too, because proplist works fine with it.

> proplists:get_bool(a, [{}]).
false
> proplists:get_bool(a, [{a, true}]).
true
> proplists:get_value(a, [{a, true}]).
true
> proplists:get_value(a, [{a, heh}]).
heh
> proplists:get_value(a, [{}]).
undefined

atom is used only for simplicity, but works with binaries too. (JSON's
boolean should be true/false atom of course I assume.)

> --
> If stupidity were a crime, who'd 'scape hanging?

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil