[erlang-questions] fast JSON parser in C

Serge Aleynikov saleyn@REDACTED
Fri Jul 25 13:12:31 CEST 2008

Perhaps a little generalization would save us from having to add more
BIFs like binary_to_* and *_to_binary in the future:

	proto_to_binary(Term, [{codec, Codec}]) -> binary()

	binary_to_proto(Bin::binary(), [{codec, Codec}]) -> Term

		Codec = json | Other

Also, this is not specific to the thread, but while on this subject, I
don't quite understand why JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) is so
heavily demanding double quoting everything in contrast to the
JavaScript Object Notation built into all browsers.  What I mean is that
the javascript interpreters built into browsers happily understand this
notion of an object:

	{foo: 1, bar: "value"}
		or
	{foo: 1, bar: 'value'}

whereas in JSON this would require to be written as:

	{"foo": 1, "bar": "value"}

The first form seems more natural for an Erlang programmer, and if JSON
BIF parser is included in the OTP, perhaps a customization to support
this variant of the format would be a worthwhile addition as most
frequently JSON is used for interaction with browsers that happily
accept the first, more compact, form.

Serge