[erlang-questions] fast JSON parser in C

Chris Anderson jchris@REDACTED
Thu Jul 24 23:53:05 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Bob Ippolito <bob@REDACTED> wrote:
> There are pretty decent pure Erlang JSON libraries available. They're
> pretty fast, relatively speaking, and they certainly don't crash the
> Erlang interpreter ;) I would worry about C when you actually need to.

I researched some into the C way of doing things, and wasn't sure how
much overhead the ei communication would consume. Currently I'm
working on a leex/yecc parser for JSON. The output format is quite
flexible, so for now I'm just building it to pass the CouchDB cjson
test_suite. Once it is working, it should be trivial to alter the
format to fit an agreed-upon convention.

I'll probably finish in the next day or two, and then I'll have an
idea of whether using leex/yecc to generate Erlang provides a big
speed boost. If it doesn't, at least I had fun!

Joe's BIF idea does seem like the long-term solution.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com