[erlang-questions] fast JSON parser in C

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jul 24 12:49:28 CEST 2008

Since JSON seem to be ubiquitous is seems to me that there would be
a strong case for a couple of new BIFs,  term_to_json and json_to_term.
these would work like binary_to_term and term_to_binary the difference
being that
instead of converting to a binary containing the external term format,
we convert
to a binary containing a JSON encoded string.

I imaging that modeling this code on the existing term_to_binary and
binary_to_term
code would not be impossibly difficult (you have to make it reentrant
and not to
not hog the CPU for too long ... and so on ...)

And yes - it is pretty horrid increasing the number of BIFs but this
might just be
a useful addition.

This would ease seamless integration with a lot of external programs :-)

/Joe Armstrong