[erlang-questions] Accessing two versions of records when doing transform_table in mnesia

devdoer bird devdoer2@REDACTED
Thu Jul 17 15:49:34 CEST 2008

2008/7/17, Hakan Mattsson <hakan@REDACTED>:

> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, devdoer bird wrote:
>
> db> 2008/7/17, Hakan Mattsson <hakan@REDACTED>:
> db> >
> db> > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, devdoer bird wrote:
> db> > db> My question is
> db> > db> 1. while the upgrade is in in progress, is the user record I read
> db> > db> either the version 1 or the version 2 ? That is I can't be sure
> db> > db> one user record's current version.
> db> > db> 2. while the upgrade is in progress,will the modify  of the old
> user
> db> > db> record be lost?
> db> >
> db> > It will differ per module and process. During the upgrade you may
> have
> db> > some processes that are using the old module and some are using the
> db> > new module. If this is an issue, you need to perform a more advanced
> db> > upgrade procedure that first suspends the processes, then loads the
> db> > new code and finally resumes the processes.
> db>
> db> I can't understand. Won't one process read either version 1 or version
> 2?
> db> Eg. there're 5 user records of version 1 intially, when I do
> db> transform_table,there may
> db> be 3 user records of version 1,and 2 user records of version 2 if the
> db> transform_table operation is not finished yet.
>
> mnesia:transform_table/2 grabs a table lock. If you are using
> transactions you need to wait for the transform to complete before you
> can access the table.
>
> If you are performing dirty access during the mnesia:transform_table/2
> operation, reading of some records will result in version 1 and others
> will result in version 2. Dirty updates may be overwritten by
> mnesia:transform_table/2.
>
> Then you have the issue of which version of your code that is
> running. During the code upgrade, some processes will run version 1 of
> a module (using version 1 of the record definition) while others will
> run version 2 of the module (using version 2 of the record definition).

Thanks a lot.I still has one question .If the transform_table grabs the
table lock,then how  does the mnesia support the hot-upgrade table
operation?
Because the transform table grabs table lock,the cocurrent write opertion
will be blocked until the tranform_table is done.

db> > db> 3. If the 1 and 2 are true,how can I  code two handle them?