[erlang-questions] Fault-Tolerant TCP/IP Servers

Jon Gretar Borgthorsson jongretar@REDACTED
Wed Jul 16 17:11:39 CEST 2008

Usually people do not do this on a software level. It's highly unusual and
I'm going to be brave and state that it's completely the incorrect way do do
this. It just simply increases the possibility of major security issues when
you start giving your programs full access to system resources. It's not an
erlang thing. You really should not do this in any programming language.
You have 2 choices.

Use a High Availability tool like Linux-HA. In an Active/Passive environment
you usually have the computers with their own ip address but then another IP
address that can freely travel between the computer as their secondary
address.

Or you can set up an Active/Active system that allows you not only fault
tolerance but load balancing as well. The downside to that is that you need
the third computer as a load balancer or preferably a load balancing
appliance.

And I highly recommend talking to a networking expert. It's no use being the
world best programmer if the whole thing fails then on the network level.