[erlang-questions] reducing size of erlang

Andrew Harris andrew.unit@REDACTED
Wed Jul 16 05:06:42 CEST 2008

Hi Anders,

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Anders Nygren <anders.nygren@REDACTED> wrote:

> Looks like You have mixed files from different releases.
> So error_handler.beam is compiled for a newer version of the emulator
> than what You have installed.

Thanks for the suggestion.  It's odd.  I went ahead and compiled
R10B-10 natively (not cross compiling) using the following three
lines:

./configure --prefix=/tmp/cross-compiled --without-ssl --without-java
--disable-hipe
make noboot
make install

I did that as a test to just practice building the code.  It seems to
have built fine, but I get the same error that I had emailed before...
it seems cross compiling had nothing to do with it.

andrewha@REDACTED:/tmp/cross-compiled/bin$ ./erl
(no error logger present) error: beam/beam_load.c(1097): Error loading
module error_handler:
  use of opcode 124; this emulator supports only up to 115

{"init terminating in do_boot",{'cannot load',error_handler,{error,badfile}}}

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot ()
andrewha@REDACTED:/tmp/cross-compiled/bin$

I don't quite understand your statement that I'm building for a
different version; I've just untarred the distribution into a fresh
directory and done the configure and make instructions above.

Could there be some interference between this build and the erlang
I've already got installed?  I use Ubuntu and installed erlang from
the package manager; I thought it was necessary.  Maybe that's causing
the problem you refer to?

thanks,
-andrew