[erlang-questions] Kai - An Open Source Implementation of Amazon's Dynamo

Takeru INOUE takeru.inoue@REDACTED
Sun Jul 13 04:50:01 CEST 2008

> We are extremely interested in these kind of systems.
> We, that are the CouchDB developers, sort of tackle
> the same problem space, only from the other direction.
>
> Where Kai and Alexander Reinefeld (& co)'s work focus
> on the distribution & fault tolerance, CouchDB aims to be
> an attractive data store first. It is meant as an alternative
> to the often wrongly (as in wrong tool for the job) used
> RDBMSes. So CouchDB can be used standalone but
> we are planning to have a fault tolerance layer on top
> of CouchDB that deals with disappearing nodes and
> all that. It would be really really cool if we could
> collaborate on this.
>
> CouchDB comes with an HTTP interface, so is
> accessible equally easy from all languages,
> including Erlang, but it is not tied to Erlang. Since
> such high availability systems are attractive for
> homogenous environments, a well-known API
> is a good idea and you certainly made a good
> choice with the memcache API.

CouchDB is getting well known in Japan, especially its sophisticated
RESTful interface.
This is because Yohei, who supervised a translation of "RESTful Web
Services", is intrigued with CouchDB.

> Is the interest in merging our systems mutual?

This is interesting suggestion.
We're now focusing on reliability and scalability, and keeping its
interface simple; get(key) and put(key, value).
But more complicated queries like CouchDB can be our future work, and
it seems exciting.

Of course, you can merge our code into CouchDB freely, since Kai is
based on Apache License 2.0.