[erlang-questions] Noob gen_server questions

Ashok P. Nadkarni apnmbx-public@REDACTED
Sat Jul 12 13:09:12 CEST 2008

Just started learning Erlang and OTP and had a couple of questions about
gen_server behaviours.

I want to have a gen_server process that is actually a dispatcher that
passes on the call to another process that does the actual work and
generates the result. So mymodule:handle_call will return {noreply,
NewState} and the worker process will at some later point send the
result back to the client. The question is - how can the latter be
accomplished? I presume the gen_server:reply() cannot be used from a
different process.

Is there a better way to accomplish my goal - not to block a gen_server
from accepting new requests when a particular request can potentially
take a long time.

Thanks

/Ashok