[erlang-questions] Kai - An Open Source Implementation of Amazon's Dynamo

Takeru INOUE takeru.inoue@REDACTED
Sat Jul 12 02:06:23 CEST 2008

Hi erlangy,

> First of all thanks for sharing this excellent piece of code.
> Is there any persistency backend to "Kai" or is it just a memory cache
> engine?

Amazon's Dynamo, which inspires our Kai, is not a cache, but a
reliable data store.
In Dynamo, all key-value paris are replicated among the cluster nodes
for reliability.
The number of replicas are automatically kept even if some nodes are
getting unavailable.
BDB or MySQL is utilized as persistent storage.
Amazon uses Dynamo to store important information, such as shopping carts.

While Kai implements memcache API, it is not a cacne and stores
key-value pairs with some replicas like Dynamo.
We currently uses ets only, but dets or mnesia will be supported in
the near future.