[erlang-questions] fyi: Google protocol buffers

john s wolter johnswolter@REDACTED
Wed Jul 9 18:29:21 CEST 2008

Vance,

Don't be so harsh about VoIP as its simplicity is generating a whole range
of useful applications.  There is a war going on out there to hold off
VoIP.  VoIP is having problems with the old phone companies and cable
providers who are blocking where possible or reducing its effectiveness.  An
former FCC lobbyist is the FCC chair, many rulings have hurt VoIP
deployments.   The last century telephone companies use their long standing
monopoly positions to keep VoIP out.  That accounts in some part for well
known VoIP sound pauses.  I've found the VoIP sound quality way above the
POTS network.   Search the issue "net neutrality" for some insight.

As an example, a VoIP phone system put the U.S. Bond Trading market back in
operation within a few days after the 9-11 attacks.  The POTS network could
not do that in that time frame.  When I call a friend in California who has
a VoIP service I can hear street traffic in the background.  When calling
this same person on a POTS line I don't hear that traffic.  Based on the
flexibility, programmability, and the accessibility of SIP we will see some
new ways of thinking about communications in a way the old telephone
companies will not do voluntarily.

Learn more about the improvement SIP represents at http://www.pulver.com.
Its run by Jeff pulver who is to say the least a real promoter of VoIP
benefits.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Vance Shipley <vances@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 04:34:17PM +0200, Christian S wrote:
> }  I have this theory that ASN.1 is too complex (or at least hard to
> }  understand), otherwise it would be used much more.
>
> For me ASN.1 represents an era which was the pinacle of
> protocol design.  There is a parallel with the telephone
> industry which had it's pinacle era in the early nineties
> with complete digital transmission (TDM) and signaling
> (ISUP/ISDN).  At that point quality in all aspects was at
> an all time high.  Competition brought in less sophisticated
> approaches (e.g. VoIP) and quality suffered dramtically.
>
> }  It really is a killer feature to be simple (KISS and all that), but
> }  not simplistic.
>
> It's about democratizing technology.  In the era of ASN.1
> it took an engineer to do anything with one of these protocols.
> By comparison a text based protocol such as HTTP makes it
> seem that anyone could understand it.  It's more approachable.
> With the introduction of SIP suddenly the field of telecommunications
> signaling is no longer the domain of engineers but is accessable
> to the layman.  The unfortunate result however is a dramatic loss
> of sophistication.  Things are adhoc instead of well engineered.
>
> ASN.1 gave me a headache when I started learning it however it
> is so effecient and simple to use that I miss working with it.
>
>        -Vance [sadly dealing with SIP/SOAP/etc.]

John S. Wolter President
Wolter Works
Mailto:johnswolter@REDACTED
Desk 1-734-665-1263