[erlang-questions] Signal handling (TERM, INT etc)

Michael FIG fig@REDACTED
Tue Jul 8 20:19:43 CEST 2008

Hi,

----- "Johnny Billquist" <bqt@REDACTED> wrote:
> Tony Finch wrote:
> >> Why not check for EINTR as the possible reason for -1 as returned
> >> from select()? Even if you have a signal handler, the select() will
> >> return -1 when a signal occurs.
> >
> > Which signal?
>
> Any signal.
> You'll have to write some other code to help figure out exactly which
> signal occured.

I think that's the point Tony was trying to make: "some other code" is simply writing the signal's number as a byte into the pipe, so that when you select and read, you can get the signal number.  That way, you can cope with a flurry of signals before they start getting lost.  If you haven't actually tried to write that "some other code", you probably don't know that it's impossible to get working reliably.

That's because your idea does not solve the inherent race condition.  What if the signal arrives while the code is doing something other than select(2) (i.e. processing the results of a prior select)?

See http://cr.yp.to/docs/selfpipe.html for the history of the "self-pipe trick".

--
Michael FIG <fig@REDACTED>, PMP
MarkeTel Multi-Line Dialing Systems, Ltd.