[erlang-questions] Treating data from open_port as an io_device()

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Tue Jul 1 01:53:37 CEST 2008

It is not difficult. An i/o server needs only handle 3 or 4 messages
from user code to be able to handle the whole interface from the io
module. Only the one which does input is mildly difficult. The whole
thing is rather simple actually.

I am in the middle of writing a document which describes some of the
more basic parts of Erlang and the rationale behind them. I/o will be
one part.

I can understand rewriting the io system to make it more efficient,
but not really to make it easier to implement servers in. All that is
missing is just some documentation.

I'll gladly help you actually as I feel that this is something which is lacking.

Robert