[erlang-questions] SCTP incompatible change vote

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Fri Jan 25 10:01:01 CET 2008

--- Raimo Niskanen
<raimo+erlang-questions@REDACTED> wrote:

> Regarding the 'adaption' -> 'adaptation' spelling
> change
> in the lksctp API:
>
> I will change the inet driver's use of the lksctp
> API to
> cope with both spellings, but what to do with the
> gen_sctp API in Erlang? Either:
> 1) I change all spellings of 'adaption' to
> 'adaptation'
>    in the Erlang API while I am at it, that is in
> R12B-1,
>    or in R12B-2 if I do not make the deadline. The
> sooner
>    such a change is made the better before too many
>    users are stuck with the old spelling.
> or
> 2) I keep the Erlang API until the next major
> release
>    (R13B) because such large changes should not
> happen
>    in a minor release.
> or perhaps
> 3) I never change the Erlang API, just to confuse
>    SCTP users and to be backwards compatible.
>
> I really do not believe 3) is a serious alternative.
> But what do you (the users) want, 1) or 2) ?
> Or 4) (own suggestion) ?

You could also 4) detect and rewrite uses of
'adaption' into 'adaptation' and issue warnings, of
course. However, I'd be okay with 1). Change it ASAP
before the API turns to stone :-)

Best,
Thomas