[erlang-questions] question: macro definition

Benjamin Tolputt bjt@REDACTED
Thu Jan 17 01:05:06 CET 2008

Robert Virding wrote:
> Easy, when macros were first requested all that was asked for was a
> way for defining constants. I wasn't too convinced of the benefit of
> adding them at all so as an added "bonus" (it was a joke) I went the
> "whole hog" and did a copy of C macros. Almost a complete copy anyway.
> That's why they don't support same name different arity.
So my hunch about C/C++ similarity was correct. Nice to know I'm not a
complete simpleton *grin*
> It wouldn't really be a problem to add that feature now I don't think
> it would actually break any code. Except perhaps just to not catch
> errors. Though I doubt it has high priority.
Given that there was a solution to the problem posted shortly after my
email (using a fun I believe); combined with the fact one can simply
make the macros LOG1, LOG2,...,LOGN - I would have to agree the priority
is probably pretty low :)
> The reason why they work at token level is that this was easier to do
> and better provided the functionality that was asked for, i.e.
> constants. You can do much cooler things with LISP-like macros but
> they are "not trivial" to implement in a language which doesn't have a
> close connection between code and data like LISP or Prolog. Just ask
> those who have tried for Erlang. Or tried to make a backquote like
> functionality.
Hmmm, having never used LISP beyond a simple "teach myself LISP" session
a year or so back - I'm not that fussed about missing the backquote
functionality. Then again, it's probably incredibly useful for LISP
programmers who actually know more than the syntax and basic semantics
*shrug*

Thanks for the info, Robert.

--B.J.Tolputt