[erlang-questions] concurrency developments

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Wed Jan 16 23:17:04 CET 2008

On 16/01/2008, Bob Calco <bobcalco@REDACTED> wrote:

>  I have recently decided to experiment writing a Ruby-like front end to
> Erlang, code named Emerld, which would generate Erlang code that would then
> be compiled (at least until I can learn the BEAM file format well enough to
> generate it directly). It could theoretically be retargeted to .NET or Java
> when either of the two got their act together for concurrency. That seems to
> me more a matter of when than if. Until then though I have committed myself
> to mastering Erlang, because I think it will give me a huge competitive edge
> in the new multi-core world we live in as a software designer and architect.

If you are going to compile down to something other than straight Erlang
then the best target is Core erlang. It a pure relatively simple and
standard functional language which is used inside the compiler. The AST is
defined by a set of records and there are tools to read/check/print it. As
far as I know there is nothing *legal* you can do in the BEAM code which you
can't do in Core. Also you have the benefit of not being forced to modify
your compiler as the BEAM engine is improved. If I remember correctly HIPA
also uses Core for one pass in its compiler. Someone who knows can comment.

This is what I am doing for my LISP front-end to Erlang. Soon to be ready.

Robert