[erlang-questions] What level of bundling is correct for sharingcode?

Logan, Martin Martin.Logan@REDACTED
Wed Jan 16 18:17:38 CET 2008

The way to go is definitely to package this as an application.
Standalone modules are not useable in the greater otp context of
releases without additional work on the part of other developers.
Applications should be the smallest unit of public consumption for
almost all Erlang code.

Cheers,
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED
[mailto:erlang-questions-bounces@REDACTED] On Behalf Of fess
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 4:01 PM
To: erlang-questions@REDACTED
Subject: [erlang-questions] What level of bundling is correct for
sharingcode?

Hi,

I did end up writing my own Port for rrdtool,  and I put it up on
google code. http://code.google.com/p/erlrrd/ [comments welcome,
http://erlrrd.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/erlrrd/src/erlrrd.erl ]  since
I'm new to erlang, it has been a good exercise.

At the moment it's just a gen_server call back module in  a single
file,  It talks to a single rrdtool unix process.

I'm wondering what the right level of bundling should be to share
this with the world,

Should it be an Application?  or a Library Application?  or  just the
single gen_server file that it is?

I feel like an Application that actually starts and stops may be
presuming too much about how someone wants to use it,
they may want to startup several of these Ports and partition the
information being sent to them,  and in that case
they would probably be rolling their own application together, in
which case they may want to start the gen_server
with their own supervisers etc.

I'm curious as to what is more the "erlang way".

thanks.

--fess