[erlang-questions] RRDtool?

fess fess-erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jan 10 18:38:43 CET 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 6:47 AM, Joern wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 1/10/08, fess <fess-erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
>
>> hmm,  my goal is simply to make it easy to collect and view graphs of
>> things.
>
> Have you considered maintaining a statistics table in mnesia and
> exposing that using snmp? If you can live with writing MIBs that's
> fairly simple and powerful.

Hmm I did consider storing the stats in mnesia, but I really wanted the
graphing power of RRDtool.   Didn't really consider exposing stats
via snmp
though. I have a, likely irrational, dislike of snmp due to various
problems
in large polling implementations, which I would have to do to get the
data back into RRD somewhere.

With my current strategy, whenever the application code adds a new
statistic it will
automatically be collected,  I suppose I could have a snmp approach walk
an entire leg of some tree on every poll, so that would do the same
thing.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's worth some thought.

--fess