[erlang-questions] Mnesia, versioning and recovering from network splits

James Cone jcone@REDACTED
Thu Jan 3 03:25:31 CET 2008

Hi Joel,

You haven't given us a plan about which data you're going to throw away.

Suppose one side of the split does a transaction that affects rows A &
B, and the other side does a transaction that affects rows B & C.

If one side is going to be thrown away, because it's being restored from
backup, then one whole transaction will be thrown away.

If you go row-by-row, presumably you will keep the changes to both row A
and row C, so you have to decide what to do about row B, and making it
consistent with both transactions either:
   - needs application knowledge
or
   - with application knowledge, is still impossible

Regards,
James.