[erlang-questions] R12.0B and Sparcs

Bruce O'Neel erlang@REDACTED
Thu Jan 3 20:46:26 CET 2008

Hi,

Thanks, but it's probably not worth spending hours on this.  I suspect that
the set of non-Ultra sparc users of erlang is quite small...

Anyway, one of the many error messages is:

/tmp//ccX10737.s:4437: Error: Architecture mismatch on "cas".
/tmp//ccX10737.s:4437:  (Requires v9|v9a|v9b; requested architecture is sparclite.)

The line in R12B-0 that fails is:

gcc -DUSE_THREADS  -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT  -g -O3 -I/home/edoneel/tmp/otp_src_R12B-0/erts/sparc-unknown-openbsd4.2    -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I../include -I../include/sparc-unknown-openbsd4.2 -I../include/internal -I../include/internal/sparc-unknown-openbsd4.2 -c common/ethread.c -o obj/sparc-unknown-openbsd4.2/opt/r/ethread.o

As you pointed out, the code in erts/include/internal/sparc32 hasn't changed much,
but, the R11 code had:

#ifdef ETHR_TRY_INLINE_FUNCS

around the files.

When R11B-5 compiles the line that gets compiled is:

gcc -MM -DUSE_THREADS  -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT  -g -O3 -I/home/edoneel/tmp/otp_src_R11B-5/erts/sparc-unknown-openbsd4.2     -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
-I../include -I../include/sparc-unknown-openbsd4.2 -I../include/internal -I../include/internal/sparc-unknown-openbsd4.2 common/ethread.c

which looks quite similar.

In both cases the configure request was:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/local-`uname -m`

I did several runs with turning on and of threads, smp, kernel-poll, and hipe.
None made this go away, though, I did not try all possible combinations, rather
I tried each one individually.  16 runs of configure would have been days...

Would you like some bits of config.log or config.h?  Also, the sparc
version of OpenBSD is special in that gcc is 2.95.3 rather than some sort
of gcc 3.x.

Still, my email message was more so that if I ever needed to solve this again
and didn't remember, google, with luck, would find it.  Also potentially it helps
the one other user of Sparc erlang :-)

Thanks again!

cheers

bruce