[erlang-questions] ODBC support doesn't work correctly in, Erlang R12B :(

Ingela Anderton Andin ingela@REDACTED
Wed Jan 2 14:31:03 CET 2008

>> Hello.
>>
>> When I was trying to test my ODBC connection with Erlang R12B I saw
>> these strange error message:

>> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe]
>> [kernel-poll:false]
>>
>> Eshell V5.6 (abort with ^G)
>> 1> odbc:connect("DSN=ejabberd;UID=root;PWD=password",
>> [{scrollable_cursors, off}]).
>> {error,odbc_not_started}
>>

> odbc application doesn't start automagically anymore. Read OTP-6984
> item in http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R12B-0.readme.

It makes me happy that at least some people read the release notes :)
Release notes for each application can  also be found as part  of its
documentation
for  example:

http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/odbc/part_notes_frame.html
> To start it use application:start(odbc).

You may also use the shorthand version: odbc:start() that does exactly
that, or odbc:start(Type) that does application:start(odbc, Type).
Where Type = permanent | transient | temporary.  application:start(App) is
equivalent to application:start(App, temporary). For more info see
application(3).

Regards Ingela -OTP team