[erlang-questions] newbie: why c.erl is special?

Anthony Kong <>
Fri Feb 29 23:34:57 CET 2008

For some testing purpose, I have written some erlang code in a file c.erl.

I can compile the code using erlc alright. But then whenever I start
erl, I got these error:

$ erl
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.6 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe]

{"init terminating in

Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
init terminating in do_boot ()

If I rename c.erl to something else, the problem goes away.

What is special about "-module(c)" ?

Cheers, Anthony

Don't EVER make the mistake that you can design something better than
what you get from ruthless massively parallel trial-and-error with a
feedback cycle. That's giving your intelligence _much_ too much

- Linus Torvalds