[erlang-questions] Google Summer of Code 2008
Fri Feb 29 01:39:38 CET 2008
Hi all, it looks like Google's Summer of Code program
(http://code.google.com/soc/2008/faqs.html) is gearing up for
This could be a great opportunity to get some projects to move from "We
really should get round to that... one day soon" into the hands of
students we can hook on Erlang.
To make this happen we'd need to:
* Apply as an organisation (requires an administrator, answering a
whole bunch of questions etc)
* Find a reasonable number of mentors - say at least two per project
and preferably with spares left over for when people inevitably get
bogged down in their real-life/job.
* Organise a list of project ideas that we'd like students to work
on. Maybe a simple unicode library, web framework improvements for
iserve/inets/mochiweb/yaws/..., generalised framework for widefinder
like problems (parsing huge data sources, parallel processing, result
accumulation), long term system statistics library (rrdtool
integration, code instrumentation macros, ...). Another easy source
of project ideas is that the Erlang GSoC organisation acts as an
umbrella for students to work on existing projects (mochiweb,
erlware, erlhive, anything from
* Maybe organise a mailing list of some description for students /
mentors and other interested people to hang out on.
* Maybe organise a website for posting progress updates
So - who's interested? Who's volunteering?
Let's get some libraries written (for us :)
More information about the erlang-questions