[erlang-questions] escript head mismatch error

Andy Gross andy@REDACTED
Thu Feb 28 03:41:57 CET 2008

By ending your main/3 function with a semicolon, you're telling the
compiler that the next function is another function clause for main/3,
when in fact it's a completely different function (with a different
arity: (main/1) ) , hence the "head mismatch" error.

Semicolons are used as delimiters between function clauses with the
same name and arity.  The main(_) ->  usage() function is not another
main/3 function clause, although the semicolon at the end of main/3
tells the compiler to expect another main/3 clause.   Replace the
semicolon in main/3 with a dot (.) and the "head mismatch" error
should go away.

See http://www.erlang.org/doc/reference_manual/functions.html#5 for
more details on Erlang function declaration syntax.

- Andy Gross