[erlang-questions] mnesia backup oddity

Hakan Mattsson hakan@REDACTED
Wed Feb 27 10:37:54 CET 2008

The Mnesia backup is performed in several phases:

  - First a checkpoint is activated in order to keep
    track of the database state as it was at that
    timepoint.

  - Then Mnesia performs a first iteratation over the
    tables involved in the checkpoint and puts their
    contents into the backup.

  - After that Mnesia performs a second iteration over
    the tables involved in the checkpoint in order to
    compensate for updates performed during the backup.
    During this phase more backup items (records and
    delete marks) are added to the backup.

  - At last the checkpoint is deactivated.

When iterating over a backup file you should interpret
the backup items in the file as operations (write and
delete), not as plain data. This means that when you
find the first occurrence of a record you should expect
a delete mark and/or yet another version of that the
record later in the backup file.

/Håkan