[erlang-questions] Practical Erlang Programming

Kostis Sagonas kostis@REDACTED
Fri Feb 22 21:02:29 CET 2008

fess wrote:

> Here are some dumb hicups I encountered on my way into erlang:
>
> Somehow I glossed over in joes book the bit pointing out
> that [ $m,$a,$t,$c,$h | Tail ] is the same as [ "match" | Tail ]
> which is so much nicer.

It's actually good that you missed this in Joe's book because it is not
the same...

Instead,  [ $m,$a,$t,$c,$h | Tail ]  is the same as  "match" ++ Tail

This is exactly the problem in people getting so much used in IO lists:
they end up thinking that flattened vs. unflattened lists are the same.
They are not.

Cheers,
Kostis