[erlang-questions] Strings as Lists

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Thu Feb 21 00:07:30 CET 2008

On 19 Feb 2008, at 7:00 pm, Matt Kangas wrote:
>> Principle 4:
>> 	LET A HUNDRED SCHOOLS CONTEND.
>

> Erm... are you the one now expressing PERL envy? :-) One of Perl's
> mottos, after all, is: "There's more than one way to do it."

I am *not* suggesting that there ought to be many ways to do it in the
language.  What I am suggesting is pretty much the opposite.  The idea
in Perl is to avoid design work.  I'm saying let's try lots of designs
BEFORE adding anything to the language, and then let's add at most ONE
thing.  After all, I said to let a hundred schools CONTEND, not to let
a hundred schools PREVAIL.

> I think there is value in providing *one obvious solution* to a
> problem.

"For every problem, there is an answer which is simple, obvious, and
WRONG."
Joe probably thinks his sketch is close to being "one obvious
solution" to
the needs he expressed.  But I think it is horribly ugly, error
prone, and
more of a pain in the rectal region to deal with than the problem it is
supposed to solve.

> If it solves > 90% of common use-cases,

Then it isn't a solution.  Let's face it, what we have NOW solves > 90%
of common use-cases.

> is syntactically simple,

the solution Joe proposed is NOT syntactically simple.  It puts a
great deal
of syntactic (and some semantic) processing in the lexical analyser,
which is
not a really wonderful place to put it.  For the problem he is trying
to deal
with, this may not be avoidable:  trying to embed several levels of
lexical
structure that were never designed to fit together is NOT going to be
easy.

> I'm fascinated by the flexibility you propose, but confused about the
> implications. Should we need to support a Tower of Hanoi for
> notations? How likely are users to ever embed > 1 notation? > 2?

I see no tower of Hanoi here.  In fact it is precisely the point of my
design that to support an additional notation
	- the "meta-notation" (function header, lines, %% and @@ insertions,
	  and dot) are all handled by the *framework*, which remains completely
	  ignorant of any specific notation
	- you add ONE function that takes a string and adds the quotation
	  needed for your particular notation.
Instead of towers, there are at most bucket brigades.

Here's another approach.
My emacs-like text editor "thief" has a command ESC [ ` which means
"convert region to HTML by changing the characters <>"'& to entity