[erlang-questions] UTF8

Deryk Barker dbarker@REDACTED
Fri Feb 15 23:17:35 CET 2008

Robert Virding wrote:
> It is if they had kept of the old 9-bit bytes (characters) from DEC-10
> days. In those days you also had a real ctrl-key which set the 9th
> bit. :-)

Not a universal feature of the 9-bit byte, though. I worked on all three
Honeywell (formerly GE and Xerox) 36-bit operating systems. The 36-bit
word was divided into four 9-bit bytes, but terminals transmitted ASCII
and the control key had its usual function.

What was really fun was packed decimal: you could get eight 4-bit packed
decimal digits into a 36-bit word, as they were packed two to a byte, so
each byte consisted of 1 unused bit and two 4-bit digits.

Decoding them in an octal core dump was really fun...