[erlang-questions] Documentation build process: creating DocBook XML?

Dmitrii 'Mamut' Dimandt dmitriid@REDACTED
Tue Feb 12 08:48:09 CET 2008

> I am well aware of DocBook it is a huge DTD. The possibility to use
> existing backends for docbook to generate html and pdf could be
> interesting.
> But when I searched around for such backends a year or two ago I did not find
> anything that was attractive enough.
>
> I followed the link above to the PHP doc and I was not impressed by
> the format. The idea with
> notes from readers is nice but would't a type of Wiki be nicer?
> What else is so much better in the php doc's format?

The number one advantage is ease of use and search engine optimization:
http://www.p16blog.com/p16/2008/02/erlang-document.html

It would be oh so nice to be able to just type in, say,
http://erlang.org/doc/io:format or http://erlang.org/doc/io/format or
http://erlang.org/doc/format and get the function or a list with
suggestions (see, e.g., http://php.net/sprintf and http://php.net/sprint
to see how it works for PHP)