[erlang-questions] [erl -name] crashes on vista

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Mon Feb 4 20:00:44 CET 2008

Hi,

On Feb 4, 2008 6:58 PM, cactus <gerold@REDACTED> wrote:
> hi - hmmmm on my windows xp box (where everything works fine) i did
> not have to run an epmd

When starting an Erlang node with "erl -sname" or "erl -name", epmd
should get started automatically. You can check the process list to
see if it's there.

> => by the way - what is the epmd for - sounds like some kind of unix
> style daemon ?

yes, something like that. If you check
http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/index.html, you will be able to
find the documentation for it.

> => so for me it looks like that vista somehow blocks registering of
> erlang node
> => i already turned off all the firewalls ...
> has anyone any experience with erlang on vista ?

It works for me without problems. Could you try "erl -sname h1"? For
me it doesn't work to use -name without specifying a full host name
(but there's a different error message).

best regards,
Vlad