[erlang-questions] Erlang has handed in Italy

Corrado Santoro <>
Sun Feb 3 17:09:18 CET 2008

Jilani Khaldi ha scritto:
> Where can I find information about all this? In your personal (english)
> site I can't find anything new about Erlang since 2004. In the italian
> site of the Engineering Faculty (Dipartimento di Ingegneria Informatica
> e delle Telecominicazioni) there is nothing mensioning Erlang or any
> other technologies. Secret italian (catanesi) weapons? Let us know, please.
Wel... no secret weapons at all! Only absence of proper advertising...
UniCT is not so good in publishing research info :-)

Anyway... here are some pointers, if you want to discuss some (or all)
of them, please contact me privately.

All the best,

1. Robotics
Erlang has been used by our team to program a robot in two edition of
the "Eurobot" competition (2006 and 2007). See
http://eurobot.diit.unict.it. We'll repeat the experience this year. In
2006 and 2007, I made two presentations about such a project at Erlang
Traning & Consulting, London (slides available on request). On such a
topic, two papers have been presented at EUC'06 and Erlang Workshop 2007.

2. Robotics and 3D
Recently, we started a project for the realisation of a 3D robotic
simlation engine. Check http://rosen.sourceforge.net/.

3. Hard real-time Erlang
Enzo Nicosia, at Erlang Workshop 2007, presented a paper on how to
excute hard-real-time computations using Erlang.

4. AI
The ERESYE tool, http://sourceforge.net/projects/eresye/, has been
developed together with Francesca Gangemi; it allows programmers to
design and implement inference systems in Erlang. A paper has been
published at Erlang Workshop 2005. See also

5. Multi-Agent Systems
eXAT (http://www.diit.unict.it/users/csanto/exat) is a tool for the
implementation of multi-agent systems in Erlang. It is FIPA compliant
and integrates ERESYE for agent reasoning. Several papers have been

6. Grid Systems
Erlang has been used to develop a simulator of a P2P Grid system. The
aim was to test a novel resource finding algorithm based on "potential
field navigation". See:

7. P2P Systems
Erlang has been recently used to develop a simulator of a novel
algorithm to build locality-based overlay networks. Such a simulator is
being used to generate overlay networks to test a QoS-aware MPEG
transmission protocol.

---- END OF LIST ----