[erlang-questions] help: Erlang MIDI driver for MAC OS X

Jakob Cederlund jakob@REDACTED
Fri Feb 1 12:09:36 CET 2008

Hi!
I've written a simple coremidi-driver for erlang, but it's almost three
years ago, and it's 100% uncommented, undocumented code. If anyone wants
it, I can clean it up and send it over. Very simple stuff though: just
sending and receiving timed Midi data.
BTW, CoreAudio, while not really nice, is by far the nicest audio API
I've used, and I've used several. (Try doing music on a Wintel machine,
if you have strong nerves =). It's hard to program and even harder to
setup.) Having a /dev/midi would be nice for playing around and testing
simple stuff, and probably quite pointless for all other purposes.
/Jakob

PS I wrote the driver initially as an example for the OTP docs, but
dropped it in favour of the postgres-driver, since the latter is
cross-platform and simpler. I did use it though, to test some simple
music-related things, like arpeggiators and quantizing of real-time
midi-data. Erlang is nice for those kind of hacks, and midi:play is more
rewarding than io:format. =)
PPS Everything is not invented in UNIX... thank goodness!