[erlang-questions] SNMP n00b problem

Ben Hood 0x6e6562@REDACTED
Tue Dec 30 01:08:02 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm just following the basic instructions to implement a SNMP agent
(as outlined here:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/snmp/part_frame.html)

I've generated all of the the config files, but when I boot the SNMP
app, I get the following issue:

* Configuration error: [USER-BASED-SM-MIB]: reconfigure failed: {failed_check,

"/Users/0x6e6562/workspace/snmp-test/usm.conf",
                                                                  1,10,
                                                                  {invalid_user,

{"0x6e6562's engine",
                                                                    "foobar",
                                                                    "initial",

usmNoAuthProtocol,
                                                                    [],

usmNoAuthProtocol,
                                                                    []}}}

Looks like a simple config issue, but there are not too many clues as
what the missing item or reference could be.

I had a brief look in the snmp_user_based_sm_mib module to get to the
root cause of this, but the issue was not immediately apparent.

Before I debug this, I wanted to know if I am doing something
obviously wrong, and/or if there is any easy way to bypass USM if I
just want to boot a plain jane agent with any auth/privs.

FTR this is using R12B-5 on OS X 10.5.6

Thx,

Ben