[erlang-questions] SNMP n00b problem

Ben Hood <>
Tue Dec 30 01:08:02 CET 2008

I'm just following the basic instructions to implement a SNMP agent
(as outlined here:

I've generated all of the the config files, but when I boot the SNMP
app, I get the following issue:

* Configuration error: [USER-BASED-SM-MIB]: reconfigure failed: {failed_check,

{"0x6e6562's engine",

Looks like a simple config issue, but there are not too many clues as
what the missing item or reference could be.

I had a brief look in the snmp_user_based_sm_mib module to get to the
root cause of this, but the issue was not immediately apparent.

Before I debug this, I wanted to know if I am doing something
obviously wrong, and/or if there is any easy way to bypass USM if I
just want to boot a plain jane agent with any auth/privs.

FTR this is using R12B-5 on OS X 10.5.6