[erlang-questions] cheap low-power boards

Ben Hood 0x6e6562@REDACTED
Mon Dec 29 15:43:50 CET 2008

Hi Joel,

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:
>> We're running running a Rabbit cluster on a bunch of Linksys NSLU2
>> SLUGs. Don't know too much more than that off the top of my head, I'm
>> afraid.
>

> Hi Ben! Can you tell me more about this application?
>
> Also, I was told that the WD Mybook has the same architecture, i.e. runs on
> ARM and Linux, etc.

Basically it is just a RabbitMQ cluster running on 8 x NSLU2 devices,
I think 3 of which are running as disk nodes and 5 as RAM nodes.

This is the circulum vitae of each node:

* 100baseT ethernet port
* 2 USB 2.0 ports
* 133Mhz ARM9
* 32Mb RAM

Each SLUG is running the ARM port of etch.

It's as not as special as it sounds - we mainly use it as a cost
effective way to test clustering (being a pennyless open source
outfit). And for demonstration purposes - you can take it with you to
demonstrate clustering at a talk, for example. And also to show that
you can run Rabbit on resource constained hardware.

The set up is just plain jane OTP clustering - see here for details:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html

HTH,

Ben