[erlang-questions] Are packaged modules the way to go ?

cyril Romain c.romain@REDACTED
Mon Dec 29 03:14:42 CET 2008

Hi,

This mail is about packaged modules (module with namespace), aimed to
extend Erlang with structured module packages [1].
You can find a quick introduction [2] and the packages module
documentation [3].

Using packaged modules or not has little impact on code but quite big
impact on:
 - project file structure and naming
 - tools analyzing Erlang files or project file structure (such as
debugger, dialyzer, Emakefile, etc.).
 - and consequently on package structure (I mean Erlang software
packaging here, such as done by CEAN [4]).
The support for packaged module has been introduced in Erlang/OTP before
2003 for evaluation purpose [5], but its adoption (or the intent of
adoption) seems still unclear today.

So my question is: for the sake of Erlang software consistency, should
Erlang developers - be it core developers or developers using Erlang -
adopt packaged modules ?
Does it need improvement before official adoption ? Should packaged
modules be ignored (or even removed from Erlang?) instead ?

Best regards,

  Cyril

[1] http://www.it.uu.se/research/publications/reports/2000-001/
[2] http://www.erlang.se/publications/packages.html