[erlang-questions] newbie LFE question

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Sat Dec 13 05:41:41 CET 2008

When you compile a file in the shell you are actually doing two separate
operations: compile the source file to a beam file, and then load the beam
file into the system. The erlang shell built-in function c(ModName) does
these operations using the vanilla erlang compiler. There is no such special
support in the erlang shell for LFE.

This means that you have to explicitly do the two separate steps. First
compile the LFE file using lfe_comp:file/1 and then load in the beam file
using the shell built-in function l(ModName). So for test.lfe you would do:

21> lfe_comp:file("test.lfe").
{ok,test}
22> l(test).
{module,test}

The lfe compiler understands if you give the file without the .lfe extension
so you can write lfe_comp:file(test).

In the LFE shell the builtin shell function (c 'test) compiles and loads an
LFE file. To compile vanilla erlang files there is the builtin shell
function (ec 'test).

Please let me know how you get on with LFE.

Robert