[erlang-questions] string:substr/2 gives confusing error message

Hynek Vychodil vychodil.hynek@REDACTED
Fri Dec 5 14:27:38 CET 2008

You are right, but it means not change behavior from raise function_clause
to raise badarg but change from raise function_clause to return empty list.
It is worth decision but you change API with all consequents. I think you
agree that change to raise badarg is not solution :-)

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Valentin Micic <v@REDACTED>wrote:

> I think that depends how you want to look at it...
> One may argue that
>        string:substr([], 2 )
> does not make much sense as a statement, but then, I'd say that:
>        string:substr("1", 2 )
> does not make to much sense either, and yet it returns [].
> IMO, both functions should behave the same way, and to be pragmatic, return
> an empty list (not a badarg exception).
>
> V.

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil