[erlang-questions] Circular list

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Aug 25 15:33:17 CEST 2008

yoursurrogategod@REDACTED skrev:
> Doing the below is pretty inefficient, as Programming Erlang by Joe
> Armstrong pg. 64 mentions.
>
> List ++ [Foo],
>
> I'm curious why doing this doesn't work at all.
>
> 4> L3 = [L2|"F"].
> [["B","C","D","E"],70]

The pattern [A|B] means "a list with the element A followed by
the list B".

In this case A = L2 and B = "F". So it *does* work - it's
just doesn't do the same thing as ++.  ;-)

Using [Head|Tail] patterns, the Erlang equivalent to ++
is:

'++'([H|T], L2) ->
   [H|'++'(T, L2)];
'++'([], L2) ->
   L2.

That is, you need to iterate to the end of the first list
in order to append another list to it.

The '++'(A,B) function above is less efficient than A++B,
since the latter is a BIF.

One place where you could use [L1|L2], or even [L1,L2]
in place of append, is when building an "IO list". When
sending a "deep" list through a port, or converting it
to a binary, using list_to_binary/1 or iolist_to_binary/1,
it is automatically and efficiently flattened.

BR,
Ulf W