[erlang-questions] How to understand this message from erlc?

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky@REDACTED
Sat Aug 23 05:31:50 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am continuing my Haskell -> Erlang conversion experiments.

While compiling an auto-generated Core Erlang file, erlc crashed with
the following message:

./hs_test1.core:none: internal error in beam_trim;
crash reason: {{case_clause,
                   {'EXIT',
                       {function_clause,
                           [{beam_trim,frame_size,[[],{0,nil}]},
                            {beam_trim,frame_layout,3},
                            {beam_trim,trim,3},
                            {beam_trim,function,1},
                            {lists,map,2},
                            {lists,map,2},
                            {beam_trim,module,2},
                            {compile,'-select_passes/2-anonymous-2-',2}]}}},
               [{compile,'-select_passes/2-anonymous-2-',2},
                {compile,'-internal_comp/4-anonymous-1-',2},
                {compile,fold_comp,3},
                {compile,internal_comp,4},
                {compile,internal,3}]}

The core file is rather large (about 6000 lines of Core Erlang),
autogenerated from Haskell Yhc core.

Is it possible to get a line number where erlc crashed from this
message or any other information to identify the offending case
clause?

Running erlc with -d -v -Wall did not add anything to the output.

I am not attaching the core file because of its size, but may provide
it upon request.

Is there any limit on the core source size, number of nested
constructs, line length, etc? I use R12B-1.

Thanks.

PS I never had such messages when trying small pieces of test code.
This time I am trying "real life" Haskell libraries like TagSoup and
Parsec which compile to much larger and more complex code.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web